Drop Dead Studio’s top-down, online, co-op, survival horror game, Outbreak, is now available on Steam. Inspired by Resident Evil and Silent Hill, the game is a nod to the classic PlayStation 2 titles, and features limited supplies and random enemy and item placement. The game takes place in the Arzt Memorial Hospital, which has been engulfed by an unknown outbreak. You only have two choices, survive as a team or join the ranks of the dead.
Players can select between four characters, each with their own strengths and abilities. Mason is a seasoned police officer, with increased damage resistance and starts with a pistol. Alendra is a computer scientist and engineer, takes more damage and is capable of picking locks. Ethan is a bioscience college student with health regeneration and healing items. Quies is a paralegal with a larger inventory, but can’t combine healing salves.
Using these characters, you have to face flaming monstrosities, poisonous undead canines, and many more. The game’s difficulty is touted as being “unforgiving” and will test your nerves. You are thrown into an intense and difficult survival situation with limited inventory space for equipment, no pausing, challenging puzzles and one life. Fortunately, a wide array of weaponry and additional equipment is scattered throughout the hospital facility: pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, axes, knives, climbing picks, and even grenade launchers. You can also combine items in your inventory, such as mixing healing salves for stronger effects. You can even trade with your teammates to make sure everyone has the most suitable gear.
Speaking of which, multiplayer is facilitated using the cloud. According to the developer, Dead Drop Studios, there should be virtually no firewall-related connection issues. There is no P2P, which means players don’t directly connect to each other. Furthermore, Outbreak has a region selector to ensure a low ping worldwide. The game can also be played offline in single-player mode.
In summary, here are some of the game’s key features and a launch trailer to show you what it is all about:
- Friendly play: 4-player online co-op multiplayer featuring voice chat.
- Dark atmosphere: Explore a deserted hospital infested by the undead.
- Brutal difficulty: Your character only has a single life; includes 3 difficulty settings.
- Limited inventory: Decide which items are worthy, and which should be left behind.
- Expansive arsenal: Defend yourself with a multitude of firearms and melee weapons.
- Challenging puzzles: Scour each room to solve puzzles and learn about the outbreak.
- High replay value: Semi-random enemy and item layouts make every playthrough unique.
- Distinct characters: Four playable characters with individual attributes and starting gear.
- Essential equipment: Earn during play or trade (Steam only) with other users.
- Controller support:Works perfectly with Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers.
The game is now available on Steam for $10.49, 30% off the $14.99 retail price. The launch sale is set to end on 24 January. It is unfortunately only available for Windows, but will be coming to the Xbox One in the future.